Yum! This Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup is so good I could make a habit of making this weekly. There is so much flavor you won’t believe that it’s so good for you!
I think it would still be good if you left the chicken out all together, or you could make it not so skinny and use hamburger or flank steak if you wanted to.
Also, it’s so easy you can literally make it in under 30 minutes. I just love recipes like this because there are just some days you don’t even feel like thinking about what to cook. You can keep these ingredients on hand, and have dinner on the table completely stress free, and everyone’s happy. You could make this even faster if you happen to have some leftover rotisserie chicken
Plus it’s always nice when you get to hear a compliment from your family that it’s so yummy!
I have to confess that I made this a few weeks ago, in January, and just haven’t had time to get it posted. I thought about not putting it up on the blog because the weather was starting to warm up, but here we are again in St. Louis.
With our crazy weather, we hit 80 one day, and have ice on the ground the next. Yes over a 24 hour period this is pretty much our normal around here lately, but we never get bored that’s for sure. Fortunately the water pipes aren’t exploding glaciers like they were in January. Thank God!!
So back to this yummy soup, I actually saw this on A Spicy Perspective’s blog and thought “I bet this would be good”. But I had to add my only little spin to it, so be sure to let me know what you think. Personally, I think it’s a definite keeper.
If you want you can cook the rice in the soup, but I prefer adding cooked rice at the end in case someone is late for dinner, or you have leftovers. The rice will tend to get mushy. If you keep it separate you don’t have that problem. Or you can leave it out altogether, but I love it this way. And definitely get the fire roasted tomatoes, they add so much flavor!
If you LOVE this Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup recipe, here are a few other delicious soup recipes to try. This recipe for Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup is simply a bowl of comfort, and this Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe is loaded with cheesy goodness!Don’t forget to follow along, so you don’t miss out! Did you know you can get a notification on your phone now as soon something is published? People are loving this so much, more than the emails clogging up your inbox. If you happened to not accept the notification box earlier…now is a good time to click the small bell in the corner and get signed up!
FOLLOW Sparkles of Yum ON FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Feel free to join the Sparkles of Yum Recipe Swap Facebook group! A fun place to find and share all of your favorite recipes.
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 small green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 can corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 packet Fajita Seasoning (I used McCormick)
- 1 cup cooked rice (optional)
- 1 Avocado (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese (optional)
- Garnish with Cilantro, Parsley, or diced green onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a stockpot (I used 8qt.) over a little more than medium heat. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook until just tender, toss in the garlic at the end so it doesn't burn, about 3-5 minutes.
- Slowly stir in chicken broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add whole chicken breast to the pot. Bring to a boil and add the fajita seasoning, tomatoes, beans, and corn. Reduce the heat and simmer 20-25 minutes.
- Start the rice on the back burner according to package instructions.
- Remove chicken breast to a plate when done, let rest a couple minutes then shred chicken, using 2 forks and return to pot. Add the lime juice.
- Add a little rice to the bottom of the bowl, ladle your soup in and garnish with chopped avocado, cilantro, or green onions and cheese.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 405Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 74mgSodium 1802mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 10gSugar 7gProtein 34g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
Sparkles of Yum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.