If your a lover of bacon and you like cabbage, you will fall in love with this quick and easy Southern Fried Cabbage!
This Quick and Easy Southern Fried Cabbage is not deep fried, it’s really more of a saute, but the flavors you get are a natural sweetness that comes together with this simple dish. You’ll wish you tried it sooner.
Cabbage is something easy to keep on hand because it has a long shelf life, so much longer than fresh broccoli or cauliflower, and it’s super cheap if your trying to stretch those dollars. So if your trying think of something different to serve as a side dish, this is an easy go to, and it only takes a few minutes.
If you really wanted to be lazy you could use a bag of shredded cabbage, but I just take a head of cabbage and give it rough chop, cut it in half and get rid of the core then quarter it and chop it again, because it will shrink a lot while it’s cooking.
I made this to go with our Corned Beef dinner, because I had our brisket cooking in the crock pot. Plus this way of cooking the cabbage tastes so much better than just putting in the crock pot to cook to death or boiling it until it turns to mush. This also reheats well in the microwave if you happen to have leftovers.
What can you serve with this Quick and Easy Southern Fried Cabbage?
- Are you wanting this for St. Patrick’s day? Then this Corned Beef in the Slow Cooker recipe may be just what you are looking for!
- What could go better with a Quick and Easy Southern Fried Cabbage than another Southern classic…fried chicken. There are so many different versions out there, feel free to hit Pinterest or Google and whip up a batch.
- Another great Southern entree to go with this would be the Mississippi Pot Roast with Gravy, YUM!
Don’t forget to follow along, so you don’t miss out! Did you know you can get a notification on your phone now as soon something is published? People are loving this so much, more than the emails clogging up your inbox. If you happened to not accept the notification box earlier…now is a good time to click the small bell in the corner and get signed up!
FOLLOW Sparkles of Yum ON FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Feel free to join the Sparkles of Yum Recipe Swap Facebook group! A fun place to find and share all of your favorite recipes.
- 6 thick slices of bacon
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon paprika (or Cajun seasoning)
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Start by slicing the bacon into pieces that are just over a half inch, and give it a couple twists of fresh cracked pepper. Using a large skillet on medium high heat, fry up the bacon, and remove to paper towels when done.
- Using the bacon fat, add the onion and let it cook a minute or two before adding the garlic. Immediately stir in half the chopped cabbage and season with salt, pepper, onion powder, and paprika or Cajun seasoning. Stir and flip it over to get it all coated with the oil. Let the cabbage cook down for a few minutes. Add the rest of the cabbage and stir all together.
- Reduce heat and add bacon to cabbage, stir, and let simmer about 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 114Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 11mgSodium 309mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 5gSugar 7gProtein 7g
© 2022 Sparkles of Yum. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.
Sparkles of Yum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.