With its creamy texture, cheesy goodness, and a hint of sweetness from the pimentos, and a surprise ingredient, these Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes are sure to become a star at your dinner table.
Hey there, foodies! Are you ready to take your taste buds on a flavorful journey down South? Today, we’re diving into the heart and soul of Southern comfort food with a twist that’ll have you coming back for seconds (and thirds)! Get ready to tantalize your senses with the irresistible goodness of Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes.
With its creamy texture, cheesy goodness, and a hint of sweetness from the pimentos, and a surprise ingredient, these Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes are sure to become a star at your dinner table. Your family will be overjoyed with every delightful bite. Whether you’re gathering for a cozy family dinner or hosting a festive gathering with friends, this dish is guaranteed to sprinkle some magic into any meal!
So, gather your ingredients, channel your inner chef, and get ready to create a side dish that will have everyone asking for this recipe. Happy cooking, and may your kitchen be filled with Sparkles of Yum!
Why Everyone Will Love This Dish
Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes are the epitome of comfort food bliss. Creamy, cheesy, and packed with flavor, they’re the perfect side dish for any Southern-inspired meal. Whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue or cozying up by the fireplace, these mashed potatoes are sure to steal the show and leave everyone craving more.
Why Pimento Cheese?
Pimento cheese is a quintessential Southern delight that brings a creamy, tangy, and slightly spicy flavor to any dish it graces. Traditionally made with sharp cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, and diced pimentos, this versatile spread adds a punch of flavor that elevates the humble mashed potatoes to a whole new level of deliciousness.
The Magic of Russet Potatoes
When it comes to making mashed potatoes, not all spuds are created equal. Enter the russet potato, the unsung hero of creamy, dreamy mashed goodness. Russets are known for their high starch content and fluffy texture when cooked, making them the perfect canvas for absorbing all the creamy goodness of pimento cheese.
Homemade Pimento Cheese: A Labor of Love
Sure, you could reach for a store-bought jar of pimento cheese, but where’s the fun in that? Channel your inner Southern chef and whip up a batch of homemade pimento cheese that’ll have your taste buds singing with joy. Mix together sharp cheddar cheese, diced pimentos, mayonnaise, a touch of hot sauce, and a pinch of salt and pepper for a spread that’s bursting with flavor.
Kitchen Tools and Equipment Needed:
Before you embark on your culinary adventure, make sure you have these essential tools and equipment on hand:
- Large Pot: You’ll need a large pot to boil the potatoes. Opt for one with a lid to help retain heat and cook the potatoes evenly.
- Potato Masher or Mixer: A potato masher is perfect for achieving that rustic, slightly chunky texture in your mashed potatoes. Alternatively, you can use a hand mixer or stand mixer for smoother results.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: Accurate measurements are key to ensuring your mashed potatoes turn out just right. Have measuring cups and spoons handy for both dry and liquid ingredients.
- Grater: If you’re using block cheese, you’ll need a grater to grate the sharp Cheddar cheese.
- Chopping Board and Knife: For dicing the pimentos and chopping chives for garnish, you’ll need a reliable chopping board and a sharp knife.
- Stirring Utensil: Choose a sturdy spoon or spatula for stirring the mashed potatoes and incorporating all the delicious ingredients.
With these essential kitchen tools and equipment at your disposal, you’re all set to whip up a batch of irresistible Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes that will delight your taste buds and enchant your family and friends!
- Make-Ahead: These mashed potatoes can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to two days. Reheat gently on the stovetop or in the microwave, adding a splash of milk if needed to restore creaminess.
- Freezing: Leftovers can be frozen in an airtight container for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
FOLLOW Sparkles of Yum ON FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Feel free to join the Sparkles of Yum Recipe Swap Facebook group! A fun place to find and share all of your favorite recipes.
- 5 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup homemade pimento cheese (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped chives for garnish (optional)
- 8 ounces yellow Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons jarred pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of Hot Sauce (optional)
- Place the cubed potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Add the butter and pimento cheese to the pot and mash with a potato masher or mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the milk or cream, stirring until the desired consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to a serving dish mixing in 1/2 cup Pimiento Cheese and garnish with chopped chives, if desired. Serve hot and watch as your guests swoon with delight.
Instructions for Pimento Cheese:
- To the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, add the cheese, mayonnaise, pimientos, relish, onion powder, a pinch of salt and pepper and a few dashes of hot sauce, if using. Blend until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a bowl and set aside or cover and hold in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Spread the potato mixture into the prepared dish. Add dollops of the remaining 1/2 cup Pimiento Cheese on top of the potatoes and spread. Pour the melted butter over the top and bake until bubbly and slightly golden, about 45 minutes.
Nutrition InformationYield 9 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 427Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 54mgSodium 417mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 4gSugar 3gProtein 12g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
Sparkles of Yum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.