Anything Italian, I’m all in! This Meat Lovers Gameday Calzone has all the fixings of a cheesy supreme pizza in a Football Calzone form. Fun to make and even more fun to eat! Perfect for a Super Bowl party or any gameday for that matter!
This one is big enough to satisfy any linebacker’s appetite. I mean go big or go home.. right?! There’s nothing dainty in football. We were able to cut this into 6 big pieces and I was really impressed with the dough we used, it actually held up to moving from the sheet pan to the cutting and you could actually pick up each piece.
Now with the big game coming up, we are left with one question here. Who to cheer for? I myself was a Rams fan for some time…but then there was the whole fiasco that led them to move back to Los Angeles. Then there is Mr. Yum. His Saints took a really tough loss during their last game…something that he is still not pleased about. He keeps telling me to just go with Minnesota, since I like purple, but I don’t know.
So who are you pulling for? Let me know in the comments. And tell me how good your calzone turned out.
Don’t forget to follow along, so you don’t miss out! Did you know you can get a notification on your phone now as soon something is published? People are loving this so much, more than the emails clogging up your inbox. If you happened to not accept the notification box earlier…now is a good time to click the small bell in the corner and get signed up!
FOLLOW Sparkles of Yum ON FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 1 lb Italian sausage (casings removed and crumbled)
- 2 rolls pizza dough, thawed (we used WeWalka Bistro Pizza dough from Walmart)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 5 oz package mini pepperonis
- 1 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce or Pizza sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 slice white cheese or string cheese (cut into strips for the football laces)
- 1 egg white (for brushing)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage until starting to brown. Add onions, garlic, bell peppers and Italian seasoning. Remove from heat and drain if necessary. Let cool slightly.
- Unroll dough out to a parchment covered baking sheet. Gently pull dough on the ends, to form a football shape.
- Brush marinara on the top of bottom dough (leaving at least an inch all around the edges) and fill with sausage, peppers and onion mixture
- Spread pepperonis and then cheese over the top. Leave at least 1-inch of the edge without filling to ensure a tight seal and brush around the edge with egg white.
- Slightly pull top dough on the ends, forming a football shape, and place over the top, then slightly roll and pinch and press the edges together to seal.
- Brush with egg white
- Cut a few slits where the football laces should be in the top to allow steam to release.
- Bake 18-22 minutes, until puffed up golden brown.
- Remove from oven then place cheese slices over the cuts for laces.
- To cut use point of knife straight down across the top so you don't smash the crust, then go back cut through to the bottom.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 780 Total Fat 55g Saturated Fat 24g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 32g Cholesterol 136mg Sodium 1841mg Carbohydrates 26g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 3g Sugar 8g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 46g
Sparkles of Yum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.