Chicken Marsala is oh so easy and delicious, complete with a silky rich wine sauce that you do not need chef skills to prepare. It’s no wonder that it is a family favorite.
This is a classic American Italian dish that likely originated with English families who lived in western Sicily, where Marsala wine is produced.
It’s wonderful served over pasta, rice, with mashed potatoes, or even just slices of thick crusty bread; perfect for sopping up the delicious Marsala sauce.
Another great chicken dish with wine is a French dish called Coq au Vin, a classic Julia Child dish which means “Chicken in Red Wine”, we loved this one too.
These are both pretty budget friendly, but look elegant so they’re a good “go to” for entertaining. The in-laws are coming or Aunt Becky is driving up for the weekend, no stress make them a meal they can go back home and brag about.
Need an idea for a stay at home date night? (Which can really boost your relationship goals by the way.) Send the kiddos off for a pajama party at someone else’s house for a change. Get an extra bottle of wine and just cozy in for a romantic night at home.
Or someone asks what’s a good dinner to impress a new someone special for a date. This is perfect, you don’t need fancy chef skills to pull this off.
But if you just want to make it for a nice family dinner they’ll love it too.
And you don’t have to worry about the wine sauce; the alcohol burns off while it’s cooking. It’s just all about the flavor, that’s why we love this dish so much.
It tastes so darn good you’ll want to add it as a regular go to in your recipe box!
Don’t forget to follow along, so you don’t miss out! Did you know you can get a notification on your phone now as soon something is published? People are loving this so much, more than the emails clogging up your inbox. If you happened to not accept the notification box earlier…now is a good time to click the small bell in the corner and get signed up!
FOLLOW Sparkles of Yum ON FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Feel free to join the Sparkles of Yum Recipe Swap Facebook group! A fun place to find and share all of your favorite recipes.
- 1 1/4 lb. chicken cutlets, pounded until 1/4" thick (if yours are thick slice through the middle and pound)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup flour plus 1 tablespoon
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups Baby Bella mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 Teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half n half (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Season chicken well with salt and pepper and dredge in 1/3 cup flour. Heat 2 tbsp. oil and 1 tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, add chicken, and cook, turning once, until golden brown and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate, and set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp. oil and 1 tbsp. butter, and then add mushrooms; cook until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer to plate with chicken, and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet, and then stir in remaining 1 tbsp. flour; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add Marsala, stock, ground mustard, garlic and onion powder; cook, stirring and scraping any bits from the bottom of the pan, bring to a boil until slightly thick, about 2 minutes. (If it looks like it's getting too thick you can add a little milk or heavy cream to get the consistency you like).
- Return mushrooms to skillet let simmer, add chicken back to skillet and simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining butter. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed; garnish with parsley, if you like.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 670Total Fat 42gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 207mgSodium 523mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 38g
© 2021 Sparkles of Yum. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.
Sparkles of Yum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.