Need a great everyday meal that tastes delicious? Well, I’ve got you covered with this Cheesy Hamburger Skillet! It’s my homemade version of Hamburger Helper, only better because you control what goes in it.
This makes plenty to feed a family or have leftovers for lunch. Quick and easy comfort food without the extra sodium and additives, which we now know if you can’t pronounce what’s on the package you probably shouldn’t eat it.
Did you know Hamburger Helper was created in the early 70’s and one of the top five fad foods of the 70’s? Americans were all about TV dinners before that.
We love to have something quick to get on the table. Women were bringing home the bacon and cooking it too. I remember that commercial. Before that women stayed home, raised the kids, and had dinner on the table when dad walked through the door.
Wow have times changed, but we still like a good hearty budget friendly meal that’s satisfying, easy and delicious.
Plus you can always add your own spin on this Cheesy Hamburger Skillet. You can add bell peppers if you like, or if the kids don’t like onions or chunky tomato pieces, you can leave those out, or make it with ground turkey for a lighter version.
If you’ve got fresh herbs toss some on top, want less meat you can always add a can of beans. This is all about using what you have on hand and making it yours. Perfect for a last minute dinner that saves you time and out of the fast food line or spending more for delivery.
FOLLOW Sparkles of Yum ON FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Feel free to join the Sparkles of Yum Recipe Swap Facebook group! A fun place to find and share all of your favorite recipes.
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning or oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 28 oz can pureed tomatoes, or your favorite sauce
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (optional)
- 16 ounce box medium shells or macaroni noodles
- 1 1/2 cup grated mild cheddar cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, sweat the onions in the oil, then add ground beef season well with salt, pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, stirring to break up and cook until no longer pink. Drain excess grease.
- Cook the shelled pasta according to the directions on the box, till pasta is al dente and drain.
- While the pasta is cooking add pureed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, paprika and Worcestershire sauce to the hamburger, turn down to simmer. Taste and season again if needed.
- Add in cooked pasta, stirring well to combine and top with shredded cheese. Cover a couple minutes to melt cheese.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 393Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 99mgSodium 409mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 33g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
Sparkles of Yum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.