These Muffuletta Pinwheels were absolutely incredible, extremely flavorful, and surprisingly easy to make.
My family loved these Muffuletta Pinwheels, they are great for Superbowl, Tailgating, New Year’s Eve, Mardi Gras, Picnicking, Party time, Snack time, or ANYTIME!
You’ll think you are in the Big Easy where they serve up the big Muffuletta sandwiches. So these are a nod to New Orleans in party size form. Puff pastry rolled up with a variety of Italian salami and a quick little olive salad and cheese is packed full of flavor, and you can eat it with one hand so you all you need is an ice cold drink in the other.
If you’ve never worked with puff pastry before, it’s really easy. Because you can buy puff pastry already made in the freezer section at the store, so you don’t even have to pop the container like biscuits, which makes me jump out of my skin for some unknown reason.
Puff pastry comes in a box with two sheets, so all you need to do is let them thaw on the counter for 30-40 minutes and unroll them give them a little stretch on parchment paper, just a little tug to flatten out the creases, and they are ready to load up with goodies.
You’ll want to leave a border when arranging the meat slices, olive salad and cheese on the puff pastry so everything stays inside. When rolling use both hands just gently start rolling lengthwise toward you, kind of tucking the olives as you go, or they’ll tend to slide down as you go. It’s not hard at all, when you get it rolled and sliced brush with egg wash and give a little pinch, then add a wooden tooth pick to keep it nice and tight in the oven. You don’t want them unrolling as they puff up.
With this recipe I used Pepperidge Farm, they puff up a lot, so be sure to leave a couple inches between each one when placing them on the baking sheet. I lined my baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up, and a little spray of non-stick spray. You can use a silicone mat for baking them, but don’t slice them on the mat you’ll slice right through it. We used a serrated bread knife to make the slices, you want to use a good sharp knife so it doesn’t smush down.
After doing a lot of research, we actually just got a really good set of knives for Christmas, Zwilling J.A. Henckels TWIN Signature Knife Block Set. They are so awesome to work with and it seems like everything just goes faster when preparing food. I was using a pretty decent knife before, but after using these, it seems like I was more sawing through things before. And this was after we had the old set professionally sharpened.
These new knives just slide right through with very little pressure. We we’re lucky to find a good sale at the time because they are on the pricey side, but well worth it especially if you’re planning on more home cooked meals.
Wondering what other appetizers could you serve at that party or family get-together? We just made these Glazed New Orleans BBQ Shrimp & Sausage Kabobs, and they were so good and such a pretty presentation, but mostly just delicious. Ham and Cheese Sliders are quick and easy for feeding a crowd, we love them. These Crispy Baked Wings 3 Ways will take your wing game to the next level! Also, these little Philly Cheesesteak Party Bites are so yummy, rolled up little crescent roll pockets filled with cheesy, meaty, and flaky goodness! Don’t worry nobody is going home hungry and everyone will be talking about the awesome food, good company and making memories to keep forever.
- If you prefer homemade puff pastry this one has great reviews from Baking a Moment for Easy Homemade Puff Pastry
- Capers and anchovy are traditionally in Tapenade which is a popular in the south of France, see Culinary Hill if you want an authentic Homemade Olive Tapenade
- You’ll want to leave a border when arranging the meat slices, olive salad and cheese on the puff pastry so everything stays inside.
What can you serve with this Muffuletta Pinwheels?
- We just made these Glazed New Orleans BBQ Shrimp & Sausage Kabobs, and they were so good and such a pretty presentation, but mostly just delicious.
- Ham and Cheese Sliders are quick and easy for feeding a crowd, we love them.
- These Crispy Baked Wings 3 Ways will take your wing game to the next level!
- These little Philly Cheesesteak Party Bites are so yummy, rolled up little crescent roll pockets filled with cheesy, meaty, and flaky goodness!
FOLLOW Sparkles of Yum ON FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Feel free to join the Sparkles of Yum Recipe Swap Facebook group! A fun place to find and share all of your favorite recipes.
- 1 box puff pastry, thawed (2 sheets make 12)
- 1 6 oz. pack of Pepper Salami, Hot Capocollo, Hot Calabrese (we found at Aldi)
- 12 slices hard salami
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water for brushing
Quick Olive Tapenade:
- 1/4 cup pimento stuffed green olives stuffed (diced)
- 1/4 cup black olives or calamata olives (diced)
- 2 tablespoons roasted red peppers (diced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (I used Tony Chachere)
Instructions for Quick Olive Tapenade:
- Rough chop black and green olives, add olive oil, lemon juice & Cajun seasoning
Instructions for rolls:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.
- Defrost puff pastry according to package instructions, about 30-40 minutes.
- Gently unfold 1 pastry sheet and place on a lightly floured surface. Tug both ends to stretch out creases or roll with lightly floured rolling pin.
- Leaving a border around the edges; arrange salami, Capocollo & Calabrese slightly overlapping.
- Spread half the Olive Tapenade over each one.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning and 1 cup mozzarella over each one.
- Slowly roll length wise, kind of pushing with your thumbs in order to make the Olive Tapenade stay back.
- Then brush with beaten egg wash, pinching the seam.
- Place the seam side down and slice into 2 inch sections. Place toothpicks in the seam to keep from unrolling in the oven.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove toothpicks before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1 roll
Amount Per Serving Calories 166Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 37mgSodium 382mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 4gSugar 1gProtein 8g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
© 2022 Sparkles of Yum. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.
Sparkles of Yum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.